Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Thought for Wednesday April 12


Lord, in your great love, answer me.
Insult has broken my heart, and I am weak,
I looked for sympathy, but there was none;
for consolers, not one could I find.
Rather they put gall in my food,
and in my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink.
Lord, in your great love, answer me.

Matthew 26: 14 – 25  One of the Twelve, who was called Judas Iscariot,  went to the chief priests and said, "What are you willing to give me if I hand him over to you?" They paid him thirty pieces of silver, and from that time on he looked for an opportunity to hand him over.

Why would anyone betray a friend?  Did Judas really want money (greed); or was he tired of following Jesus (sloth); or frustrated that Jesus wasn’t using power to change the world (anger); or disappointed at his own role (pride); or upset that Peter was getting all of the attention even though he wasn’t that bright (envy); or unwilling to live simply (gluttony); or did he just want to spend more time with his girlfriend (lust)?  Which of these might drive me to betray someone?

Action:  Examine your own conscience this week.

 

No comments: